:::caution Work in Progress This page is not complete yet. :::
This guide will cover updating the bootloader of the Pro Micro from the stock Caterina bootloader to the DFU bootloader.
Why would you update the bootloader?
- Caterina bootloader only stays in bootloader mode for about 8 seconds when reset is triggered, while DFU stays in bootloader mode when reset, allowing for a better flashing experience
- Don't have to figure out what COM/tty port the Pro Micro ends up on when trying to flash, which is one of the main problems with flashing on Windows
- A Pro Micro you want to flash with DFU bootloader
- An ISP flasher - a couple options here
- A real one like USBasp
- Another Pro Micro!
- 6 wires - solid-core recommended, 22-30 AWG